Well, nothing like starting off this whole thing with a huge mistake. John F Kennedy, in a speech to congress, on May 25, 1961 formally set the goal of “landing a man on the moon and returning him safely to the earth.” I don’t know what I was thinking. I guess I enjoyed that Rice University speech so much that I convinced myself that was the actual announcement. Well shit. That’s an additional 476 days. (1 Year and 3.5 Months). Grrrrrrrr!
So, it actually took 2979 days from JFK’s announcement until July 20, 1969 when humans landed on the moon.
I started my journey on December 18, 2018, which means, I have to complete all of my goals before February 13, 2027. I will be 52 years old.
52 years old.
My dad died of a massive heart attack when he was 52 years old.
My eyes started to get a little misty when I realized the irony. One of the reasons I decided to take on this mission was because I am sick of living unhealthy. My dad smoked until the day he died, worked harder then everyone else, and always seemed to be tired. He never stopped. He had his first heart attack at 45.
I always get sad when I think about what my dad missed. He died three days after my daughters first birthday party. I can still remember him holding her hand in the park. He missed so much- two more kids for one. And the creation of the Comedy Spot. Not to mention so many amazing birthdays, holidays, celebrations, and milestones.
I want to be around a lot longer for my kids. I need to be around a lot longer for my kids. I’ll be honest, in the back of my mind I am a little afraid of dying too young like my dad, but that’s not why I am trying to complete these goals. I am doing it because I want to accomplish goals I have had to push off in the past. I’t not fueled by my dad’s death. Maybe I am a little. I don’t know. Let’s move on.
So, now I have until February 13, 2027 to complete my goals. I have 15 additional months. Which is great. But I think I need to add and upgrade some of my goals. Here is the new list of goals: (Revisions in bold.)
- Finish FOUR screenplays and sell at least one.
- Move Comedy Spot to comprehensive location with a new showroom, classrooms, and offices.
- Buy a house and a an investment property.
- Live healthy. (mind, heart, body) Eat right. Exercise. Quit smoking.
- Be invited for in an interview with Terri Gross on Fresh Air.
- Read at least two books a year.
- Buy a suit a cheap suit and a nice suit.
- Take a vacation each year and have adventures. Travel to New York, Europe, New Zealand, Australia, etc.
- Watch three space launches. (SpaceX, SLS, and one other.)
- Post a YouTube Video at least once a week.
Even though I screwed up, I still did some things in the last two weeks to help achieve me goals.
- I established a timeline to write my screenplays. And now I have 4 to write. It usually takes a hired writer 12 weeks to complete the first draft of a screenplay. I am not a full-time BUT I have completed more than half way my first screenplay- LOST LUGGAGE. So for this first screenplay I am giving myself 6 months to finish. I will start my second screenplay, STATE OF FRANK, right after, and give myself 8 months to complete that. I will give myself 8-10 months to complete the last two- working titles are TIME and HEIST. I have been flirting with the idea of posting excerpts of the screenplays here for you to read. I told comedian Teo Morgan about my LOST LUGGAGE screenplay and he created these drawings for me!
- I need to meet with a theater in the area that has their own location. I am going to reach out to Capital Stage and see if they can give me some guidance, or at least a jumping off point.
- I looked into buying a house in Sacramento. Two things became clear- I don’t have the savings or income to buy a house in Sacramento. You, know, the two things you need to buy a home. It was pretty depressing. I don’t have a full plan right now. But I need to save a ton of money- So, starting this month (January 2019) I am going to start a strict savings and investing plan. I will talk about this more in a later video.
- I quit smoking on January 1, 2019. No cheats.
- I am not drinking in 2019. No wine. No beer. No nothing. This started on January 1, 2019 also.
- I bought a book! And I started reading it! My plan is to read on the pooper and when I go to bed. My daughters, Mackenzie and Kennedy, recommended LEGEND so I bought it off Amazon and I am 50 pages in. It’s part one of a three part series so I guess I am covered on books to read for a while!
Okay, that’s it. That’s all I have. Be sure to watch my latest video on YouTube and follow me on social media.
Until next time!